As with Isojoki, Karijoki was originally part of the large parish of Närpiö along with Lapväärtti. As the trip to the church in Lapväärtti was a long one, plans were made to build a church at Karijoki in the 1700s. Permission to build the church was granted in 1799. Construction on the Neoclassical wood cruciform church, which as designed by Salomon Köykkä (Kohlström), was begun in 1808 and completed in 1812. Karijoki separated from Lapväärtti to become its own parish in 1862.
The church and its adjacent Palkkamäki Rectory reflect the rise and prosperity of settlements along the Teuvanjoki and Karijoki rivers from the 1700s to the end of the 1800s. The increase in the number of buildings was the result of tar production and the opportunities offered by agricultural reform to settle new areas.
The Karijoki Church is protected under the Church Act. The Karijoki Church grounds are listed as a nationally significant built cultural environment.
Coordinates (WGS84): 62.31137, 21.70576
Keywords: Karijoki, Kulttuuri, Kulttuurikohde, Valokuva