Lake Spitaalijärvi (Lauhanvuori, National Parks)
The lake Spitaalijärvi is one of highest lakes in the Geopark-area. Over 175 metres above sea level, the lake has naturally slightly acidic water, which has been believed to cure skin illnesses. The pH of the water is 4.7, which is close to the pH of human skin. The acidity is caused by the local quartz rich soil, and the mire situated next to the lake.
Did you know that?
- Lake Spitaalijärvi does not have a natural landing bed. Its waters seep into a small swamp at its southern end and from there into the soil.
- The lake was dried up during the famine years of the 1860s to catch fish. The drainage channel is now dammed, but still visible in the terrain.
- Behind the lake there is a swamp. It is an raised bog with the oldest peat layers 8,400 years old.
- On the horizon, behind the forest, is the top of Lauhanvuori. It is 230 meters high, the highest point on the west coast.
- The water in the lake is said to cure skin diseases. The healing effect is probably related to its acidity, which is approximately the same as human skin.
- Some of the lake water comes from springs. They discharge fresh groundwater from the upper part of Lauhanvuori into the lake.
- There is a dune behind the cooking shelter on the shore of Lake Spitaalijärvi. It was born more than 9,000 years ago when this dry fabric was open and windy on the sandy shores of the Ancylus lake.
- A new cooking shelter was built by the lake in the summer of 2017. The picture was taken while it was still under construction.
Nearby attractions: Annelid traces in sandstone, The tor formations of Aumakalliot, Aumakivi tor corestone, The Kivijata of Huhtakorpi, Kaivolammi lake, Springtime in Peräkorpi, The southern end of Kivijata boulder field, Kivijata stone field, Kivijata then and now, The highest post-glacial shoreline, The Lauhankangas highest shoreline, Old sandstone mining pits of Korsukangas, The boulder field of Korsukankaan kivijata, Kuivajärvi - a lake that disappears, The day trip hut of Kärkikeidas, Lauhanvuori National Park promotional video, The observation tower of Lauhanvuori, Lauhanvuori-Hämeenkangas Geopark, The lean-to shelter of Leikkistenkangas, Signs of an earthquake long ago, Wild Forest Reindeer, Peräkorpi mires and shore formations from above, The seasonal wetland of Peräkorpi, Duckboard trail on the Peräkorpi spruce mire, Spitaalijärvi from above
Coordinates (WGS84): 62.13839, 22.16235
Keywords: Järvi, Geokohde